Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Week 5 - Your Wandering Mind

This week's thought comes because of a comment that was made by my Book of Mormon professor in class. He began by asking which of us had ever caught ourselves zoning out while reading our scriptures or even while praying. We all laughingly admitted that we had. Then he told us something I had never even thought of before. He told us to pay attention to where your mind wanders off to. Most things that will interrupt something like that must be weighing on your mind pretty heavily. Don't only just recognize what you're thinking about, but bring your thought, concerns, joys, and sorrows to your prayers and your scripture studies and see if the Lord can't give your mind some insight to what you're thinking about. Since hearing this, I decided to try it and see what would happen. I can promise you that it's an experience that you won't forget. I found my mind wandering during my scripture study and when I brought it back to what I was reading, I was able to get new things out of the text that related specifically to what I was thinking about. I received promptings that I was waiting for that I hadn't yet received because I hadn't been looking for them in the right places, and all of this happened because I didn't treat my train of thought as a distraction from my reading, but something that could help me search for meaning in the scriptures. Now I can't promise that you'll have an amazing experience every time it happens, and I'm definitely not saying to let your mind roam wild and free, but when it does, you'll have the opportunity for a special experience. So don't be mad at yourself next time you catch your mind wandering, use it to your advantage.

Be happy and smile!
Paige

1 comment: